the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

Although I call myself the Wandering Author, I do not consider myself to be lost. I was meant to wander through life, wondering at the things I see, treasuring them, and then moving on. That state is where I belong. It is what makes me who I am. When I wander, then I am truly at home, I am truly the person I was meant to be.

Although I have often wished to do so, I have never travelled great distances. I should love to visit Jerusalem, Oxford, Glastonbury, Venice, Rio, Singapore, Shanghai, and many other places. Yet so many people travel to these places and are never touched by them. I wander nooks and crannies closer to home, learning their ways in various seasons. And I wander in my mind, with the aid of words, of learning, of research, of infomation in the many forms available today, and even of imagination.

And each journey I take leaves its mark on me, whether I go to a nearby chasm, to the White Mountains, or to another time or a place no one has ever known before, as only authors may do. Authors can be many things, but no true author can be indifferent to life. Those things that catch our eye, that haunt our thoughts, smells, sounds, ideas, almost anything can move us to express ourselves.

An author may express such an impulse in many ways. Often, it bursts out as a poem, a short story, or even a novel. It may take the form of an article or a book on a subject the author considers worthy of discussion. But there are always thoughts that demand expression, yet have no comfortable format to call their own. In the past, authors would write these thoughts down in their journals. Today, we have other ways of expressing ourselves.

That is the purpose of this blog, to share those bits of my life that demand attention, but are insufficient to inspire short stories, poems, novels, or any printable work. Perhaps later I shall take up these ideas, and use them to build something more permanent. Yet for now, these fleeting words will serve to capture them. I hope you will enjoy my thoughts.

diigo it

3 Comments:

Blogger RomanceWriter said...

Just stopping by to say hi.

I can already tell by your first entry this blog is going to make me think. You have a very insightful writing style.

Bye for now,
SMP

July 31, 2006 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pleased that my friend referred me to you. Although your link list is a bit of a problem - so many interesting destinations. None of which I have time to visit.

Ultimately, it was you that I was referred to. This is where I feel my attention should be devoted.

I started looking over things and was immediately struck by Pardon The Interruption. There seemed to be no logical course of action ofher than to start at the beginning.

I've had problems blogging. So many demands life places upon us. Never enough time to do what me must let alone what we want. In that I don't work on my own blog with any regularity, I do not write blog comments. So, forgive my lack of polish in this endeavor.

I would be interested in having more visitors, to gain feedback. It might provide additional motivation to progress. If you find enough to interest you maybe we can link.

Given the basic question of Pardon The Interruption. I like this. I don't know yet what else there is. But definitely more of this.

August 20, 2006 1:44 PM  
Blogger Aisling said...

A beautifully written description of your blog title. Love how a good writing can explain just how one feels about a certain thing, to the point that the reader just nods, and agrees... bravo.

September 27, 2006 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home