the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Blogged Down

When I began, I intended to add posts to this blog at least once every two days. How could such good intentions go astray so quickly? Global warming is to blame. This past Tuesday through Thursday, we suffered a heat wave more intense than anything we ordinarily experience. That heat was accompanied by humidity more oppressive than I would have thought possible.

Normally, I detest dead, stagnant air, and prefer cooling off in the breeze from a fan rather than sealing myself inside a sterile, air conditioned environment. This time, two days before we were cautioned extreme heat would be arriving, I discovered a problem with the insulation on the cord of the big fan I rely on. A swift run to Wal-Mart solved that problem, but fans really were not adequate for dealing with what we experienced.

I was unable to accomplish anything useful; my three cats sprawled in the coolest spots they could find, stretched out with their paws in the air, barely moving until late evening. Wednesday night we had a violent thunderstorm that didn't do anything to clear the air, but did knock out our power for four hours. I had bought a fairly decent battery powered fan a couple of weeks before, against just such a possibility, and I clung to that, congratulating myself on my foresight.

When the weather cooled off, the cats spent the next dawn releasing all of the pent up energy they had been unable to expend the past three days. As any reader who has ever had a cat will understand, that meant I got a lot less sleep than usual. What with heat, sleep deprivation, and a need to catch up with at least a few of the things that had piled up, I didn't have even a moment to consider posting to my new blog.

My original hope was to post insightful discussions of important matters engaging my attention. I still intend to do this, but those posts will have to be scattered among others like this, which are much easier to write. The delay has forced me to consider that there will be other times when I just will not be able to find the time to craft clever analyses of complex topics as frequently as I might wish.

I will at least attempt to offer my readers some glimpse into the life of an aspiring author who does not have nearly as much time for writing as he would like. Perhaps it will entertain some few readers, enlighten others thinking of taking up writing, and amuse those who seem able to fit a few hundred tasks into their day, and still have hours left over for relaxing in the evening.

I have also tinkered with the template for my blog, in an effort to make it more legible on most screens, and I've added links to other blogs I take the time to read when I can spare a moment. If you are one of the very few readers to notice my blog so soon, I hope you will find it worth your while to return. I do apologise for the pun in the title to this post. I know it's horrible, I just couldn't resist.

diigo it

3 Comments:

Blogger RomanceWriter said...

Hi,
I wil add a link to your blog on mine.

Bye for now,
SMP

August 07, 2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger barista brat said...

thank you for the link!
it's great to be in the company of kristen nelson, jennifer jackson and the other cool blogs (literary minded or not).

but, what? no miss snark? no rachel vater?
haha!

August 07, 2006 3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, related to Pardon The Interruption, I like this.

Again, I do not spend much time looking at blogs. I am advised by a couple of associates that it would be to my benefit.

I enjoy reading people's viewpoints on what is going on in the world, thoughts about this thing and that which they enjoy, whatever it is that they may agree or disagree with.

Having people share their lives, what is important to them, what goes on inside their head is interesting subject matter to me that I think too many people either miss or easily dismiss.

This, I think, from the few things I've read, is something you do quite well.

August 20, 2006 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home