the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Plans, Thoughts, Hopes

I have several plans I'm considering. Of those, some are too vague yet for me to write about them. But I do have a few things I would like to move forward on. First of all, I do intend to keep cleaning this poor, old blog up. Second, I hope to start a serious discussion among interested writers about the issues raised in the previous post. What can we do to make a living? What will work, what is worth trying, and what isn't worth even wasting time thinking about?

If you are interested in this topic, please leave a comment. I'd really like to find a few serious writers who understand just how important this is. We need to put our heads together, brainstorm, and work on finding real solutions. I know we're all busy, but please don't offer to take part unless you are really going to make the time to do it. I would like to help improve the choices all writers have as they seek to survive doing what they do best.

Finally, I have toyed with one idea for a while, and I'd like your thoughts. I sent out one enquiry, but I am also interested to see what my readers think. I've been wondering what I could do for America's troops overseas. Whatever your politics, these guys aren't the ones making the decisions. They are leaving their homes, going to harsh and hostile lands, and risking death. They see friends die around them. Most of them are just kids. And they do all that because somebody else orders them to.

They volunteer because they want to protect their country, their families, their friends, to guard all our freedoms. How they are used is not theirs to decide. There are those who would disagree with me. If so, go write about it on your blog, the one you're free to express your opinion on because of men like the ones you despise.

A lot of Americans, even those who don't despise them, don't seem to give them much thought. I do. My son was one of them for a while, when he was in the Marines. He served for eight years; he's home now, safe and sound, but I can't forget that people just like him are still there, still dying. Now, I don't have enough money to contribute anything significant to the care packages sent over there.

What I can do is write. In some ways, it is useless, but perhaps some of the men and women over there would get a bit of encouragement out of the idea that someone was offering to write something to entertain them. So my idea works like this: I'd ask for suggestions for ideas - stories they'd like to read - from the men and women stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Every two weeks, I'd pick an idea I can work with, write a story, and post it (on a separate blog set up for this project, or a special web site). If I found I could manage more frequent stories and posts, I'd pick up the pace. The story would be dedicated to the person who suggested it.

I'd keep the basic Copyright rights, but I would post the stories under a blanket grant of non-exclusive rights to any service member to print it out and to pass on copies if they like. If other writers are interested, they could join the project, and select the ideas they wanted to work with. They would keep the rights to their own stories, but would grant the same blanket non-exclusive rights I've described above.

I would be the overall editor; this is not open to just anyone who thinks they are a writer. Only someone able to write decent stories, ones that at least might end up in a magazine, would be accepted. In addition, I'd look over their stories and suggest any changes they needed to make so the story would be the best it could be. The idea here is, if we're going to do this, the troops deserve soemthing decent.

Actually, they deserve the best, but I'm not the best and I know it. I am at least a halfway decent writer, though. At least, I hope I am. I don't think it would be appropriate to take on any writers who weren't at least good enough to describe as "halfway decent". If you are interested in taking part, leave a comment here. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. If I think you are good enough, or that I can edit what you write so it is good enough, I'll count you in.

Tentatively, I'm calling this Tales for the Troops. I hope I can make it work out, and I hope it will bring a smile to at least some of the faces that badly need it. Maybe it will be a reminder to them that at least a few people do care what happens to them.

Labels: , , , ,

diigo it

6 Comments:

Blogger DBA Lehane said...

Great idea and count me in on this Ray if you would like to involve me?

June 02, 2008 2:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the idea for Tales for the Troops, and I think it would be awesome to proceed with that.

June 02, 2008 7:08 AM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Lehane, of course I'd like to involve you. I think this is going to work out well. :-) Thanks for getting involved.

June 02, 2008 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a brilliant idea.I'd love to take part in the Tales for the Troops project, if I may. Would you mind if I linked to your journal to see if anybody who may visit my blog would be interested in partcipating as well?

Also while I am interested in the tpic from your previous post, I'm not a publsihed writer and therefore I fear I'm a bit ignorant in suggesting ways that might help.

June 02, 2008 10:52 AM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Soleil, you're welcome to join. Thank you. I haven't seen as much of your writing as I have Lehane's, but I am sure you're capable of writing an interesting story. You're welcome to link if you like, although I'd be slower in accepting any writer I didn't know something about.

As for your second point: you may not be published, but that doesn't mean you have nothing to contribute to the discussion. I believe that even published writers are struggling, because the known ways aren't working well any more. So we need to brainstorm, to find new ideas. You're as likely as anyone else to have good ideas.

June 02, 2008 11:16 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Ray,
I remembered that you had brooded on this once in 2006. Glad you've picked the idea up. The thing is my life is very tied up these days but I will contribute when I can and you definitely have my support.
Ray, your idea borders on both the intellectual and philosophical. It's slightly revolutionary too.

June 11, 2008 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home