the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Meet His Majesty, Arthur Winston


I am proud to introduce my readers to His Majesty, Arthur Winston, the lion I have adopted as a member of the Shameless Lions Writing Circle. For those who doubt his title, the lion is the King of Beasts; it is entirely proper for him to be styled His Majesty.

His name stands for two men who fought in doomed (or so it seemed) causes. Arthur, High King of Britain, fell, but his efforts undoubtedly softened and civilised the Saxon influence on Celtic Britain. Winston Churchill, who stood against the darkest evil the world has yet known, miraculously, won. Such a name seems entirely appropriate for the Last Lion...

The last lion,
Survivor of hunters
Lacking manhood,
Poachers, tourists, progress,
Stands proudly,
Unaware.

In his mind,
His coat glows
Smooth and tawny.
King of Beasts,
No matter
How many patches.
He fights on,
Magnificent, wondrous, doomed.

What have we done?
Woe, when such creatures
Live no more...

Labels:

diigo it

12 Comments:

Blogger Cup said...

How very cool!

May 31, 2007 12:41 AM  
Blogger Thy said...

ahh! nice poem!

and welcome to the circle :D

May 31, 2007 1:12 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

What creative colours, Ray. Good choice. :-)

May 31, 2007 2:57 AM  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

WA,
Lovely presentation of your lion ... his story and the poem are great. I'm glad he has found such a wonderful home.!:)

May 31, 2007 10:34 AM  
Blogger Bhaswati said...

Great words to match an equally great beast. Good one, WA!

June 04, 2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Ray, thinking about you today and hope you're feeling much better now.

June 08, 2007 4:07 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Hello!

I came by to introduce myself, I am a fellow member of the Shameless Lions Writing Circle.

Glad you joined it, and looking forward to being in the circle with you!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

June 12, 2007 10:37 PM  
Blogger Miss Kitty said...

WA, I've mostly been lurking these days, but I want you to know I'm really enjoying what you've posted.

The lion poem is GREAT.

June 13, 2007 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss coming here every day and finding a new story... I know you couldn't do it forever but dude it was cool.

June 15, 2007 2:42 PM  
Blogger american_thinker said...

Awesome. I liked this a lot. :D God Bless!

June 15, 2007 4:13 PM  
Blogger writerwoman said...

Just stopping by to say hi and that I hope all is going well with you.

June 16, 2007 11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, would you please pass this note along to HM Arthur Winston? I invite him to come visit me on my new blog, Literary Lion of Lyon. He would probably recognize me from the blog’s title, but tell him Roary sent the invitation. Thanks.

Roary ^..^

June 17, 2007 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home