the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Plastic

The latest challenge is up over on Velvet Verbosity. This week's word is plastic. I hope my thoughts will get you thinking, as well.

Plastic

Plastic, a cheap substance not inherently beautiful like metal or wood, breaks easily in use, yet refuses to degrade and go away when tossed aside to clutter up meadows and forests. At best an inexpensive, less satisfying alternative to better materials, the ultimate cost to our world is high.

Plastic, not real, not honest, not strong enough to resist pressure.

In neither sense is plastic a positive idea. Yet our society makes more and more from plastic, trusts it to do more; we vote for plastic leaders, idolise celebrities with plastic bodies and personalities. What does this say about us?

Labels: , , ,

diigo it

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's certainly an interesting word that brings a lot to mind, isn't it?

June 03, 2008 1:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We vote for plastic leaders really hits home with me and reaches out from all of the other powerful words, excellent take on the theme.
Mine is posted @ Mama Bear Writes.

June 03, 2008 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought provoking. I like your take on it.

June 04, 2008 12:42 PM  
Blogger Robert K Russell said...

Thank you so much for your thoughts and encouraging words on my blog. You do indeed have a way with words and are honestly a great writer. I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

June 11, 2008 11:24 AM  
Blogger VV said...

Yes indeed, what DOES that say about us? We were never wired for so many conveniences, so much ease, so much pleasure. So we make many confused mistakes living in our self-created plastic world.

June 18, 2008 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home