the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Pardon the Interruption

Although I have enjoyed writing many of these posts, blogging is a form of writing I am not yet comfortable with. It has virtues, I don't doubt that. I enjoy reading the blogs I link to. And I think some aspects of blogging, such as the need to post frequently, and the relative spontaniety, will help me develop those areas of my writing.

The trouble is, I intended this blog to be a somewhat random collection of thoughts, opinions, concerns; whatever I happened to feel like writing at the time. This will be my tenth post, and as I look back over the previous posts I have written, they seem too random, almost uneven. Then again, it is hard to read your own work objectively.

So I would like to ask each one of you who reads this blog to let me know what you like, and what you don't like, about it. The more comments I receive letting me know when I have succeeded in interesting you, and when I have failed to do so, the better I will understand how to keep your interest. And you do want to read an interesting blog, don't you?

If you like at least some of what you see, then I ask you to forgive my experimentation. Skip over the posts you don't like, but pay me a few more visits, both to let me know your opinion of how I am doing, and to see how all the experiments work out in the end.

I hope you'll decide it was worth it; while every author may be compelled to write what is inside them, every author also wishes for an audience, or they wouldn't put their thoughts on paper. And I do thank you for your attention, however brief it may turn out to be.

diigo it

5 Comments:

Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Wandering Author,

(you don't have to publish this if you don't want to.)

Since you asked...

I think if you want to know how to build an audience, it's like working on any relationship/friendship you have to show an equal mutual interest in the work of those who have visited you. That is if you value their visits. If you don't care that they don't come again, then don't worry about it.

Bloggers are real people with feelings and emotions. And they all have jobs, families, friends, dreams and aspirations. And it takes courage and effort to place a comment in someone's blog, not knowing how it's going to be received.

I know that I am just not good with a one-sided communication. And I daresay from a longtime experience, that many are like me.

I think seeing your title and myself being a writer, I'd be interested to read in the artistic aspects of your life...the books you read and your writing aspirations and how it's all going.

At the of the day though, you have the right to write what you alone feel you want to write.

best wishes

August 18, 2006 8:03 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Wandering Author,

I was delighted to read your thoughts & comments on my work.
Thank you. I really appreciate and cherish all you have said.

Your intelligent perspective on stories, would make you the perfect audience for my own regular visitors like (DBA Lehane's Fiction Blog aka Windscreen Fly) & Brandon's Tales of the Bearded Toad.

They're on my blogroll.

I'm sure they would love your thoughts on their regular short fiction pieces as well as your clever insights.

And as for me, I am very happy to have you for a new friend.

cheers

August 19, 2006 1:19 AM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Susan, thanks for your comments here. I agree with you, although I do wonder how those bloggers who get 30 or more comments on each of their posts ever keep up!

My writing experiences, thoughts about the profession, and comments on some of my reading are all things I do hope to post about. So far, it seems I have much less time to write than I'd like, and one thing or another has prompted posts on other subjects.

And thank you very much for pointing out those blogs to me. I do check out the blogrolls maintained by bloggers I like, but going through all those links can take time... I must confess to wondering how DBA Lehane keeps up the pace. I don't think I could do it.

August 19, 2006 12:40 PM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

Hello,

I remember when I first started my blog no one left comments for months. Other than spam ones you get if you do not have word verification. It took time to build up a readership.

What I like about your blog, and what I think makes it unique, is that you post useful information and not just about your personal life. That will distinguish you and,in time, gain you readers.

August 20, 2006 10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have returned to the place I started. You may have gotten more comments from me than you wanted when you asked for input. Hopefully somewhere along the way it has been helpful.

I think the insights Susan Abraham offered are very useful. I would like to go and visit her blog, as well as romancewriter, but I know would take me down a path that I do not have time to explore.

Should you ladies return to follow-up on comments you have written, I would welcome you coming to visit me.

All the best to you wandering author; I hope your journey is safe adn as enjoyable as possible. I will look forward to hear from you.

August 20, 2006 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home