the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

The 2,996 Project Honouring the Victims of 9-11

I just learned of the 2,996 Project, an effort to honour each of the individual victims who died on 9-11. Although I fear the task of providing a fitting memorial tribute for any of these victims is beyond me, there is little time left and I felt I owed it to those who sacrificed far more to sign up.

As my readers can see in the sidebar, I will be honouring Francis Esposito, who died at the World Trade Center in New York. Since I have just signed up for the project, I know little about him. I will be conducting my own research to learn more, but I do urge anyone who may have information to contact me. If his family or friends happen to read this post, I would be humbly grateful for any stories you could share with me about Francis. I hope to do his memory at least some justice, and welcome your help.

As a professional genealogist, I do have some idea where to look for information, but that will be primarily cold, impersonal facts. If it is possible to do so, I hope to show some of the human side of a man who died as an innocent victim of hatred. I hope that I am capable of that task; I doubt any writer could feel confident of his skill under these circumstances. But I do promise I shall do my best.

To all my readers; I will attempt to keep posting on a regular basis, responding to your comments, and visting your blogs to offer my own comments, as time allows. But I hope you will all understand this project takes precedence. There may be a delay before I respond to you; the memory of Francis Esposito deserves a thorough effort to research his life, and to write a memorial that, I hope, will compel readers to remember that life.

diigo it

12 Comments:

Blogger barista brat said...

wow, this is such a beautiful sentiment.
i hadn't heard of the 2,996 project but i will click on that link immediately.

i also wanted to thank you again for the comment you left of my blog. i started barista brat not only as a way to vent but a way to "keep writing".
i'm currently working on a young adult novel (which, if i quite giving in to distractions, will be finished within the week) and have spent the last year looking for representation. i believe my wip is my "in" so to speak and i can't wait to start the query process all over.

but really, i just wanted to let you know that your comment was one of the nicest things i could ever hope to read about my writing.

thank you so much!

August 21, 2006 2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncanny - yesterday I visited the Museum of London and whilst there read a tribute book to the victims of the 7/7 Underground bombings.

I think we'll understand that this new project will be your ultimate priority. Well done and best of luck with it!

August 21, 2006 3:19 AM  
Blogger Miss Kitty said...

What a wonderful way to pay tribute to the 9/11 victims, WA. I look forward to reading what you write...you have a lot of guts to take on this task! I wish you lots of luck finding out about Francis. May he rest in peace.

August 21, 2006 7:00 AM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

9/11 is two days before my birthday and also the day I almost lost my godmother who was in teh US on holiday from London. She was in Brooklyn the night before and was supposed to vist the WTC the morning of the attack, but overslept and never made it there; thank God. My heart went out and still goes out to ALL those affected directly and indirectly. I have many friends in the military and law enforcement who was tasked to participate at the time of, during, and after the event. The chronically of their stories have touched my heart since then. I will stay tuned to your blogs to see what else you post. I read your blog on finding gems on the web and left some info for you.

Be blessed.

August 21, 2006 10:32 AM  
Blogger Cup said...

Interesting. I had not heard about this project until today, and this is the third blog I've seen mention of it. It sounds like a wonderful project; I need to check it out on my own.

{BTW, I'm a casual lurker from Barista Brat's site, but I'll be back.)

August 21, 2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

What a wonderful honour for Francis Esposito, WA and how kind of you to stop by when you are busy with research and reflection.
I have read your comment and enjoyed it but don't feel up to doing anything much on the Net today.
I'll reply tomorrow and 'see' you then or later.
cheers

August 22, 2006 1:34 AM  
Blogger Bhaswati said...

I commend you on your commitment to this project. Do take your time; Francis deserves your attention at this point. All the best with your reasearch.

I look forward to reading your tribute.

August 22, 2006 3:31 AM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

I think it is very admirable that youa re taking on this project.

August 22, 2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Cup said...

I signed up for the 2,996 Project. I wrote about it today on my blog, and referenced your blog. Hope you don't mind.

August 23, 2006 9:19 PM  
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

I'm happy that you chose to take part in this project...and it's great to see the feedback you're getting. Linking more into the chain before we get to September 11th is, I think, critically important. All 2,996 deserve to be recognized.

Will look forward to visitors at Fear And Loathing - The Gonzo Papers providing feedbak on my tribute. I have posted it with a September 11th date so it is displayed for some weeks. I have set the time of the posting to correspond with the first plane that hit the Trade Center.

Will look forward to you visiting again.

August 24, 2006 12:23 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Just saying hello, once more, WA and here's to remembering you and Francis Esposito in my thoughts and prayers.

August 25, 2006 1:26 AM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

barista; I hope when your novel comes out you will let me know. Young adult or not, I would be interested in reading it.

August 26, 2006 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home