the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

National Novel Writing Month 2006

I barely managed to make my goal today, and became a winner of NaNoWriMo 2006 a day before the deadline. In the process I've learned a lot about writing, including how to keep writing under any and all conditions, and how to balance a pad in one hand and write with the other while doing nearly anything. Typing passages you've already written is much faster, so when I don't have access to a computer and can write, I've been writing.

I've also been working incredibly hard, so this will be a very short post. I am drained, empty, and a bit let down now that it's over. But, lest you feel too sorry for me, I have a number of scenes (50,000 words wasn't enough to finish the novel) that, while they may need editing, are worth working on and shaping up into a novel I'll publish myself (thus avoiding the "three book" trap conventional publishing now sets).

I've had very little time to visit the blogs I enjoy, and almost none to leave comments. The fact Blogger has been, if anything, more cantankerous than usual has hardly helped. I expect to be tremendously busy with work for a little while, then things should slow down and I'll visit and comment again.

Labels:

diigo it

9 Comments:

Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

Blogger not cooperating; that's hard to believe. 8-) Will look forward to more details on the novel in progress. Congratulations.

November 30, 2006 1:55 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Oh, WA, you must go and have yourself a good long proper rest. I insist.
Congratulations on having a new novel in your hand and your tenacity at seeing NaMoWriMo through.
And to top it all, to become a winner.
Looks like you made good, WA.
Thank you for all your clever, overwhelming sense of remarks based on an intelligent instinct for my writing. I really really appreciate this beautiful quality in you.
Hope Zach is doing ok.
Speak to you later.
Go and rest.

November 30, 2006 4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cantankerous is a rather nice way of putting it ;-)

I'm glad you made your NaNo goal. I didn't take part because I knew I wouldn't be able to make it writing under pressure isn't really my thing. Well, I do it for a living so that's a daft thing to say I suppose, but it's different when there's a cheque at the end of it.

November 30, 2006 5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations WA! It's been fun, and a little nerve-wracking, to watch you struggle through this challenge this month. I've watched your word count jump by leaps and bounds and I'm seriously impressed that you finished. Only 20% of the participants finished the challenge so you are indeed, part of the elite.

Congratulations again and take a breather, you earned it. :-)

November 30, 2006 8:07 AM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

So excited for you! NaNoWriMo is the kind of good insanity that people who are unlucky enough to not be writers will never understand. I'm glad to see you made your goal and have a story you like to show for it.
My story last year has never been read by anyone but me. But my story this year is something I am much more proud of. I hope next year we will still bein the group together and can discuss our new novels then.

Sara

November 30, 2006 11:36 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Congratulations on reaching the magic 50k mark!

I hit 50k on the 28th, and finished the book with about 15 minutes to spare tonight - ending word count 57,003.

Ian

December 01, 2006 2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only echo the sentiments of the congratulations of those that went before me! I can only marvel at this feat, seeing as I struggle with a mere 500 words at the best of times! And those of us who have known you for a little while always know there is good reason when you're not around!

December 01, 2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger Thy said...

NaMoWriMo.

that's a tongue twister.

but really. take a break. take a nap!

December 02, 2006 1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow congradulations!!!

December 04, 2006 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home