the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Friday, December 08, 2006

A Brief Status Update

I will be writing another post on the issue of chain bookstores. Before I do, I want to assure you, yes, I do take this seriously, but I will not blame anyone for disagreeing with me. You have a right to your opinions, and it is not the kind of issue I'd start a quarrel over. But some comments did make me realise I didn't explain the issue as well as I would have liked to. I hope those of you who do disagree won't be offended by that.

I will also try to write a post soon listing some of the books, and authors, I've found worth reading over the years. It won't be the "100 best books ever" sort of post. It is just too hard to remember every book, then decide which of them was better than another. But I will list books I think are interesting, and I hope some of you will enjoy them if I tempt you to read them.

However, in the meantime, it's late, and I'm not sure when I'll get to writing either post, or when I'll get to editing my NaNo novel. Earlier this week, I discovered that I'd lost some of my bookmarks from my main collection. These are links I need, for my work and for my writing. I do have backup files, but each of these is missing some of the bookmarks (one is earlier, another was edited, and so on).

They are also in formats which will not import well in any central place, such as my browser or a bookmarking service. So, the only solution I have is to manually go through these files, figure out which links are duplicates, and assemble all of the links by hand. Some of you, who only have a few hundred bookmarks, no doubt think that sounds easy. In my case, I have a few thousand... and five partial files to sort through. I fear all my "spare time" for months will be spent recovering from this.

For those of you who think that is a bit drastic, I can only say that, in the past few days, not having these links conveniently to hand has cost me roughly an extra couple of hours per day digging out the resources I need. As I get more of them in one place, accessible, I hope that time will decrease, but there are other links I don't need right now, but will soon. Thus, the need to salvage all that I can.

Labels: ,

diigo it

9 Comments:

Blogger RomanceWriter said...

I hope you get your links back quicker than you have predicted. I can only imagine how many links you would need when dealing with geneology. That field sounds so intrigiung. Well, wishing you the best. And I will totally understand if I don't hear from you as often for a while.
You know I will be around.

December 08, 2006 9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally look forward to another thought provoking post! As long as disagreement is constructively argued it will be fun! :) Now, what am I doing here?! I'm sure there's some novella or other I'm meant to be writing!!!! ;)

December 10, 2006 5:59 PM  
Blogger Thy said...

yikes.

hope you get all your lovely bookmarks back.

December 11, 2006 11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi WA,
i was just expressing an opinion in good faith & that because I felt extremely comfortable in your company. I wouldn't have written what I did for someone I knew less. Was it necessary to brood a quarrel? I was so surprised at this post. But I'm not smart at all with these things. Many know a lot more than me, so I concede defeat to all I said.
Happy Holidays!

December 13, 2006 6:51 AM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Susan, I was surprised at your comment. I tried, although re-reading it I see I expressed it rather clumsily, to let everyone know (I wasn't singling out your comment) that, although I do want to discuss the issue further, I want first to be sure everyone knows I'm not intending to start a quarrel.

I certainly didn't think that you were; I agree with the points you raised, in fact. I simply felt they needed to be discussed further.

I hope everyone reading this blog will always feel free to express any opinions they wish, without fear I'll attack them. I may discuss the points they bring up, but I'd never attack anyone for expressing an honest, thoughtful opinion. I'm sorry that I ever gave anyone a different impression.

December 13, 2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Thanks for sorting it all out, WA. My opinion seemed controversial so I was a little worried there.

December 13, 2006 11:39 PM  
Blogger aperire said...

Happy Holidays, WA!

December 18, 2006 2:44 AM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

Stopping back in to say Happy Holidays to you, your family and especially that cute little grandbaby.

Sara

December 20, 2006 1:15 PM  
Blogger Ischelle said...

thank you for always reading and believing in my work...

it means a lot

December 21, 2006 12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home