the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Words Scrawled On A Cell Wall

Patrick got a lapful of engine on a fall night like this. No one asked the obvious questions. I didn't believe the stories. Too much didn't add up.

Nobody wanted to listen, so I decided to make them. Me and a can of Blaze Orange.

I sprayed "They killed Pat Byrne!" on the station wall, but a cop leaving spotted me. They left me my belt. I don't want to do it, but they'll do worse when they come back.

I wrote this the other day, for a flash fiction contest over at Fictional Musings. I learned of the contest just over two hours before the deadline, and this was the best I could come up with. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it is a story, packed into 80 words, and I kind of like the ambiguous ending. In case you didn't catch the ambiguity, did they leave his belt by mistake, or were they sending him a message? I'll keep my own thoughts to myself...

Labels: , ,

diigo it

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad that strikes me as sad. Well done though;)

February 22, 2007 10:40 AM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

The ending makes the story I think.

For eighty words you actually had several layers in this piece which I find amazing.

February 23, 2007 12:03 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Good show, WA!
I like it.:-)

February 23, 2007 10:53 AM  
Blogger Miss Kitty said...

I **love** the in medias res quality of this one! WOW!

February 27, 2007 8:56 AM  
Blogger Mile High Pixie said...

More, more! have you read the "Story in 55 Words or Less" book?

March 02, 2007 10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WA, I love your ending. As you say, ambiguous and it set my find firing off in tons of different directions, looking for some answers.

Reminds me of how Hitchcock would suggest things in his movies and scare you half to death - without really showing anything. Let the reader/viewer do some work. Gets you involved more in the story I think.

March 04, 2007 7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home