the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Rest In Peace, Barbaro

Normally, I don't follow horse racing at all. I'm too aware of the cruelties that are a part of it, the countless animals that suffer, in the name of "sport". I can't enjoy the thought of other creatures suffering. But I couldn't help hearing of Barbaro, his horrible injuries, and the strength and spirit he showed as he fought to live. I paid attention to that story; that was a race I wanted him to win.

Today, sadly, he lost his race. The horse that wanted to live so badly he showed a fight and spirit that amazed his veterinarian finally had enough suffering, and he gave up. I do credit his owner for doing what so many others wouldn't have considered and spending the money to give him the chance that he had, and for not forcing him to go on fighting once he was weary. But, most of all, I think of Barbaro, so young, so full of life, and yet forced to suffer so much.

May you rest in peace, Barbaro, free of suffering. Better yet, may you be free now to run through the meadows of Heaven, for your own joy, free to run where you will and wherever the wind may lead you. I will think of you there, and hope the taste of the sweet grasses of Heaven may make you forget all that went before.

Labels: ,

diigo it

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Here's to sharing your thoughts, WA. An eternal peace for Barbaro.

February 01, 2007 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home