the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Murphy's Visit - Or - Somebody Get That Guy Murphy!

The lawyer Murphy, famous for his Law, "anything that can go wrong, will go wrong", has decided to visit the Wandering Author. On the 30th, I had a very sore right shoulder, and could barely type. I put Tiger Balm on the shoulder to ease the pain, and discovered the fumes aggravated my sinuses, since I'm still battling a sinus infection.

That night, I found my shoulder would not allow me to lay down. Rather, when I did lay down, it was impossible to find a single position that did not make the shoulder much worse. After trying every possible position, all I accomplished was to hurt my shoulder so badly I could not lift my arm from my side even half an inch.

I tried sleeping in a chair, which allowed me to snatch a tiny bit of fitful rest. Murphy must have been distracted, because although my shoulder was stiff and would not work at all the next morning, gradual attempts to use it loosened it up until I can again use it for some things, with pain only if I lift my hand above my shoulder, hold my arm in certain positions, or put any weight in that hand.

Come nightfall, with a shoulder once more in need of rest, and still incapable of sleeping like a normal human, I settled into my chair. Over time, I became aware tht the furnace which had run that evening was not coming on. It is in the 20s (F) here (well below 0 C) and it really needed to come on. Brief investigations proved it was not working, but no repairmen are available until morning.

So, tired from lack of sleep the night before, with my only heat source my trusty computer, I sit up at the computer, hunched over it, trying to balance my need to rest my shoulder with my need to keep the cold seeping through the walls out of it. So, if any of you see Murphy about, please shoot him, or bludgeon him, or otherwise put an end to his miserable career of making things go wrong.

Just please make sure you have the right Murphy; they are a big family, and most of them are perfectly decent people. Oh, wait, that's another thing Murphy's sure to do. If you try to hunt him down, he'll make sure you get one of his innocent namesakes instead. I'm sure many of my readers will find this post absurd. I agree, it is very much so, but there are times when the only way to stay sane is to poke fun at Murphy and hope that will make him hide for a while.

Labels: ,

diigo it

3 Comments:

Blogger RomanceWriter said...

On man, sorry to hear that. Damn Murphy strikes again.

I sure hope your shoulder is better soon.

Bye for now,

Sara

February 01, 2007 2:55 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

I'm sure many of my readers will find this post absurd.

Not at all, WA. Though the events are real, you've written it with a light tongue-in-cheek humour. Good on you.

My friend, so sorry to read this. Of course, I've known about it for awhile but it still hurts to know that you're hurting. How restless you must feel! And not that a freezing night will help a wounded shoulder!

Take it easy, WA & do give your shoulder all the rest it needs. Here's hoping you feel better in no time.

With warmest wishes

February 02, 2007 3:27 AM  
Blogger writerwoman said...

brandnewwriterI hope your feeling better now, friend.

February 04, 2007 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home