the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

For Writers

I have two announcements of possible interest to the writers who read this blog. The first concerns an interesting contest the extremely talented DBA Lehane is holding. The details are on his blog, Short Short Fiction. His blog post provides the links to the actual site where the contest is being held. Note that the deadline has been extended; there is a notice on the site hosting the contest. I encourage anyone who can come up with a good story meeting the requirements of the competition to enter.

Also, I have a few minor resources to share with any writers who are interested. Since blogs aren't set up for downloading files directly (and I could probably set up a link to remotely download the files, but I'd be forever tweaking it) just visit my public E-Snips folder, Writers Helps. Everything there is free.

There is a sample of one of Holly Lisle's books, the Create a Plot Clinic; as I already mentioned, I have become an affiliate of her shop. In this case, you don't have to rely on my judgment (and writers are different, so even a book I found helpful might not be for you). Download the sample and look it over. If it doesn't look helpful, all you'll have wasted was a bit of time reading. If you do find it helpful, pass the sample along to a friend once you get the full copy.

There is also a character creation checklist I made up a while ago. If you use that kind of thing, it might help you. It is free, and you can make as many copies as you like for yourself; all I ask, if you want to share, is that you point your friends to the Writers Helps folder. There is also a PDF for a very experimental form of manuscript paper I designed. That probably won't be right for many of you, but if it is, enjoy it!

Labels: , , , , , ,

diigo it

6 Comments:

Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Ray,
Do tell us more about your writing projects.
regards

March 18, 2008 10:23 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

I promise you I will. I simply need time to figure out all I want to do. And to dig out from under everything else that wants to keep me busy...

March 18, 2008 10:33 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

That's great, Ray. I'm just feel thrilled that you're back as a fellow-writer in the picture and that we'll all be working on projects together.
Just the thought of that alone stays encouraging and inspiring.
Have a happy easter weekend, Ray.
Rest! :-)

March 21, 2008 10:13 AM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Suzan, Happy Easter to you as well!

March 22, 2008 2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting all those files up. I've been working on some maps lately for the first time, and I never considered grids before.

March 26, 2008 12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm technically a bit late in commenting but I wanted to express my gratitude as well. I found the Character Checklist especially inspiring. :)

March 29, 2008 2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home