the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Excellent Writing Community

Forward Motion for Writers is an excellent community for serious writers. I also belong to a small writing group, which has its own special benefits. Among larger communities, though, Forward Motion stands out. It is the only site I know of which is specifically designed by writers for writers, is free, accepts writers of all types, and does not in any way seek to take advantage of the writers who join. The rules are reasonable, and Holly Lisle, the founder, and Lazette Gifford, the site's current owner and administrator, deserve to be recognised as the patron saints of writers everywhere.

It is a place "where you can connect with others interested in sharing both the joys and the insanity of writing". Its members are "at various stages of their careers -- from those who have been repeatedly published to others starting their first manuscripts". Writers interested in all genres (other than erotica) are welcome.

Truly, "if you love writing, Forward Motion is the site for you". The primary emphasis of the site is on becoming professionally published, although serious members wishing to improve their writing skills are welcome even if they are not ready to seek publication. Membership is free, and includes classes and every other benefit of belonging to this community. Donations are welcomed, but there is no heavy pressure to donate.

Yes, this reads like a 'puff piece', but it is not. It is my genuine opinion of the site. Any of you who've taken part in NaNoWriMo, or who've looked over the site, will know that the forums boast an impressive list of resources. Forward Motion boasts a similar but larger collection of forums for writers.

The forums are organised slightly differently, and I personally regret the lack of a "Plot Doctor" forum, but you can get help with your plot, that is just not one of the central subjects. The quality of replies is generally very high, and the senior members are genuinely eager to be helpful without throwing their weight around. There are also classes you can sign up for at various times, and critique boards where you can post your work and get an honest critique.

If that isn't enough, Zette publishes an e-zine for writers, Vision, which is available free on the site and is the best writer's magazine I've ever encountered. I really would like to encourage any of you who are serious about your writing to join this community. Even if you've already been published, I think you'll find some aspects of it worthwhile. If you would like to help newer writers, you can certainly do that, too.

Why am I so enthusiastic about this site? Well, there are a lot of "free" writing communities out there, and most of them offer very little. In return, to join, you must sign away so many of your rights to any work you post that I personally do not recommend anyone to join, serious about being published or not. Forward Motion offers much more, and doesn't ask you to sign away your rights to anything you post. How can any writer not be enthusiastic about a site like this?

Labels:

diigo it

2 Comments:

Blogger writerwoman said...

Thanks for the insights to FM. It sounds intriguing.

July 23, 2007 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the idea of free classes will have to try that out;)

July 23, 2007 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home