the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Pillar

This week's prompt from Velvet Verbosity was the word pillar. The challenge is to write exactly 100 words on this topic, in any form you like. In my mind, I saw a pillar standing alone, rising out of desert sand. I wondered why it was there; then, all at once, I understood. Read my story to find out the answer.

The Pillar

Gawen sweated and struggled, setting each segment in place, but finally the pillar stood, alone in barren sand. By day he lived in the hidden chamber of a cave nearby. The pillar served as he’d planned, a spot travelers could find again. Some hoped to avoid tax collectors, others didn’t like bringing all their cash into the city. By night, Gawen crept out to dig it up. In three years he had enough to buy Morgan’s freedom, pay their passage to Albion, and secure their future.

The archaeologist scratched his head. “Who put this here, and why?” He never learned.

Labels: , ,

diigo it

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tantalizing...I like it.

July 28, 2008 12:36 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Neat! Love the Arthur references.

July 28, 2008 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm. I love desert stories. This reminds me a bit of a book called The Sword Dancer, I believe.

Nicely done.

July 28, 2008 7:57 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Ray,

Happy writing always & be well!

August 01, 2008 4:39 PM  
Blogger DBA Lehane said...

I think Ray you have a snippet here that can my evolved into some fantasy epic. I loved the mood and idea.

I know I've been absent from writing all summer, but a little concerned you've also been quiet. I trust the RB demons haven't bitten?

September 07, 2008 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where have they gone??

October 30, 2008 10:23 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Where have Gawen and Morgan gone? If that's your question, they lived during the days of the Roman Empire. There is a span of roughly sixteen hundred years between paragraphs. I still have a lot to learn about being clear in so few words.

October 30, 2008 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home