the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Writing Matters

I've noticed it in passing before, but I took a good look at the Lonely Moon Short Fiction Contest today, and I was hooked. I wrote a story for it, and e-mailed my entry this afternoon. It still hasn't been posted, so the link is only to the main page. I hope it didn't go astray; if it isn't up by the morning, I may resend it with an apology in case they're just slow.

I looked over some of the other entries, and I won't be winning anything, but I had fun doing it, so in that sense I've won already. No, I'm not just being modest. I do think my story is better than some of the entries, which I won't name. It definitely isn't as good as a few of the best entries, though. It's just as well I didn't read them beforehand.

The funny thing is, I just finished Moonstruck and sent it in when I had another idea for a story titled Traitor Moon. There is only one entry allowed per author, but I just may write it anyway, and post it here. I hope I can find the time to do that tomorrow. In the meantime, I've been thinking about my challenge.

One person commented that it "ain't broke" so I shouldn't try to fix it. That's good advice, but it is nice to vary things a bit when writing. One idea I'm considering is to have whoever starts the story off write a very short story, say 250 words. Each of the others would then write a new segment, showing the same events from the viewpoint of a different character who witnessed them or was involved.

The problem is, I'm not sure if that will work out well or not. Comments on the subject are welcome; the other possibility is a challenge very similar to Brandon's. Since I'm meeting an Irish cousin I've never met before on Wednesday, and Amin's challenge ends next Monday, I'll probably set it for next week. Anyone interested in signing up should let me know; I already have Brandon down for it.

diigo it

8 Comments:

Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi WA,

Please do count me in for your Short Story Challenge next week. I think it's a great idea. I would so love to. My email is abrahamsusan2003@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you for your supportive words on my blog yesterday. Also, don't worry too much about Blogger. Sometimes, it has sudden problems but one good thing is that they almost always resolve their problems after a few hours.

Also, here's my good luck wish for your Lonely Moon entry. I'll pop round and drop in a comment for your story later.

And once more too, to a remembrance of Francis for the work you're doing for him.

God Bless

August 29, 2006 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in the short story idea. I like the concept of the same event being told through differing characters eyes!

August 29, 2006 3:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A multiple viewpoint collaborative story. I love the idea. The very possibility is sending my mind into a spin.

I'd like to put my name on the list, too, please.

August 29, 2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

WA, just wondered if you had any Irish blood since you mentioned Irish cousins and also once related an experience on my blog about receiving parcels from Ireland.
Having read your entry over at Lonely Moon, your pros had such a lilting musical quality to it...that this is the kind of beautiful writing and rare, one finds only with Irish writers and perhaps a bit of the Welsh.

August 29, 2006 8:48 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Okay, so far we have myself, Susan, Brandon (who opted in on another thread), Lehane, and Amin. Any other takers out there? Anyone else care to comment on my idea? If no one has a problem with it, I will probably do that. We could start on the 5th and wind up on the 9th. Its not carved in stone yet, but that's the way I'm leaning.

August 29, 2006 8:48 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Susan, thank you! I am half Irish, with a few drops of Welsh mixed in. I'm immensely pleased at your comment, which suggests I can draw on this heritage when I choose. Although not perhaps as much or as well as I'd like.

August 29, 2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

I'll give it a try. Let me know details on my blog or at the group. Bye for now.

Bye for now,
Sara

August 30, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger Bhaswati said...

I loved your Lonely Moon entry, WA. It has a glow all of its own and shines among the other stories. Thank you for sharing it. :)

August 31, 2006 3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home