the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Hubris

The massive battleship passed inexorably into the harbour, swastika flags snapping insolently in the breeze. War had only been declared a few hours before, but she had been waiting, ready to pounce, for some days, and now her crew lined the railings, cheering and baying as the tiny ships in port scurried to avoid them. One man pointed to the battered old sailing vessel struggling along with most of her masts bare and sniggered. More and more men began jeering at her, certain she would be ridden down by their massive armoured bow. When she barely dodged the blow, they groaned, and those closest to her spat down upon her decks as the great warship slid past her. Her hull nearly grated against the fresh grey paint as suddenly it detonated in a breathtaking blast that immediately touched off the main magazine, levelling every building along the shore but leaving nothing of the proud flagship but a storm of flame and smoke that the water soon swallowed up.

Labels:

diigo it

5 Comments:

Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Love it, Ray! Love every word of your prose. And also miss Lehane very much when I read stuff like this. :-)

July 02, 2007 2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beatiful

glad to see your work again... does this mean your feelng a bit better? Hope so!

July 03, 2007 12:43 PM  
Blogger Thy said...

nice bit :D glad you're recovering

July 05, 2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's so poignant.

July 06, 2007 2:45 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Ray, just wanted to say thank you for your very faithful support for my work over these months.
always lovely to have you drop by. really appreciate it. :-)

July 06, 2007 5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home