the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

USDA Employee Threatens US Food Supply

Since the information I located is available to the public on the Internet, and the text I am copying consists of my own comments, I have no reason to believe there is any legal impediment to my posting it here. I urge all of you who read this to tell your friends, contact any media outlets you can think of, and otherwise make sure this story gets covered. My impression is the government would like to hush it up.

The comments below this paragraph are exactly the text of the message I sent to the FBI on this issue, with two exceptions: I have replaced the url in the message with a text label and hypertext link to the site where this appeared, and I have used actual italics in place of the asterisks used in plain text for emphasis. It is not my intention to become a "news" blog, but this is alarming enough that I decided to make an exception.

This is secondhand; I discovered it online. If you go to NoNAIS there is a post there "USDA Identified As Terrorists" which includes a comment the site received making a terrorist threat. The site owner traced the IP address back to the USDA. I obviously don't have the means to verify this, but it concerns me.

If the USDA has disgruntled employees willing to go this far - they inspect our food supplies - they have access to them! Is our food safe? The site owner responded to a comment I made asking why the USDA was handling this internally and why the FBI was not handling it by stating the FBI hadn't seemed interested in other incidents of possible illegal behaviour. I'd like to know why not. I think the FBI should look into this, carefully.

I have also contacted various media outlets with my concerns. I think this needs to be a major investigation; if there is one unhappy employee at the USDA, how do we, the public, know how many more there might be? How do we know our food is safe while the USDA has access to the food supply if this is not investigated in a major way?

diigo it

5 Comments:

Blogger The Wandering Author said...

I apologise to my readers for the choppy writing in my comments to the FBI. I was alarmed, upset, and trying to keep things brief; it was only after I finished that I considered the possibility of publishing them here.

August 29, 2006 3:15 PM  
Blogger Miss Kitty said...

WA, I'm blown away. Where do we start? I've been underwhelmed at the government's attempt to micromanage small farmers with NAIS...now this very real threat to the American food supply goes unnoticed. What suggestions do you have as to how we can raise holy hell over this?

And damn NAIS; I'm not a big-time poultry processor. I don't even plan to eat my chickens. Five birds does not a registry make.

August 29, 2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger Ischelle said...

Not choppy at all, and its all part of your writing style. I like that you wrote when you were flustered about the situation. Keeps it all real if you ask me.

Lovely.


P.S. thank you for your comment


Ischelle.

August 29, 2006 11:26 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Miss Kitty, I'm tied up tomorrow, but I'm working on a very long post with suggestions for raising awareness of this issue. I hope I can get it done and up Thursday. I contacted several media outlets today, but silence so far. Sigh.

Ischelle, thank you very much for your comment; I suppose everyone is their own worst critic.

August 30, 2006 12:09 AM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

I've been of the opinion that we're always pointing the finger elsewhere when it comes to certain crimes, but as they say; point one finger outward and there's three that point back to you.

This is a very scary thing.

August 30, 2006 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home