the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Friday, September 29, 2006

A Sad Day for Genealogists

Earlier today, I received an alert by e-mail that Ryan Taylor a genealogist and librarian who worked at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana, and often taught on genealogical subjects, was missing. I did not know Ryan Taylor; I may have met him on my one visit to the Allen County Public Library. I have vague memories of a helpful staffer who resembled his picture.

I had too little time, and was too focused on learning more about one of my family's mysteries, to recall clearly anything beyond my triumph in solving one more bit of that mystery. Yet all I have learned of him today from those who did know him convinces me I wish I had met him, and had the chance to really talk with him.

Tonight, I recieved another e-mail. A body had been found. Although positive identification has not yet been made, the description matches that of Ryan Taylor. At this time, foul play is not suspected. I felt it would be disrespectful to his memory, and to all he has done for the genealogical community, to fail to note his passing.

I am sorry, I would much rather have had a less depressing subject for my next post. Yet some days are like this. Other days overflow with joy rather than sadness. I hope all of my loyal readers have known far more of the latter than the former, yet sooner or later the former days will come. Life goes on, but before you go on with your own life, please say a little prayer for Ryan Taylor and for his family and friends. And perhaps another that I may have occasion to write with a less heavy heart next time I post.

Labels: ,

diigo it

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another respectfully written memorium. RIP.

September 29, 2006 3:58 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Oh, WA. I'm so sorry.
Yes, I will say a prayer for him and his family.
Just keep going with your journey, a step at a time.
take care.

September 29, 2006 7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that is so sad...I'm very sorry about Ryan. I also have been to ft. Wayne's library several times. I live only about 50 minutes from Ft. Wayne so we go there often..

Sending my Prayers to his family.

September 29, 2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger Thy said...

oh. wow. : [

i can't stand all this death. People are supposed to die eventually, but why does it always happen to the nicest people?

October 03, 2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

The memorial tributes you write are outstanding; I think the most impressive thing is the personal touch you add.

Genealogical research has proven extraordinarily difficult for me between Italy and Poland. Different spellings of names is a challenge. I've had problems with records at Ellis Island not being necessarily accurate. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get off on a rant.

I feel fortunate to have been able to find my great grandfather who came from Poland - grandmother's father - and my great grandmother who came from Italy - grandfather's mother - but no luck beyond that beyond their names.

Long delayed updates to my family site are being put in place. Maybe that will spur further research.

I hope, Wandering Author, that you didn't mind a bit of personal take on genealogy. It is, I think, a tribute to one who was an expert in the field. Who else would better understand?

October 09, 2006 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home