the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Tribute: Firefighter Francis Esposito, FDNY


Pause for a moment, and forget the statistics, the analyses, the politics. While you read this, remember only that each person who died five years ago was an individual, important for that reason alone. To most of us, Francis Esposito is a stranger, a name on a memorial carved in stone, or floating in cyberspace. To his family and friends, he was much more than that. No tribute can ever embrace all the memories, all the love only they will ever know. But it is fitting, especially on this day, to reflect on what we do know of Francis Esposito, and the lessons we can learn from his life.

He was born August 14th 1969 in Brooklyn, but his parents soon moved to Staten Island. As a boy, he was a lovable rascal who once helped drop his little brother down a laundry chute. Yet he was capable of much more than just pranks and jokes. He helped his father build the
family's home
on Staten Island, and in the process learned skills he would use throughout his life.

The Esposito home was the scene of many happy Fourth of July celebrations for family and friends. Francis and his brothers would begin planning the festivities months in advance, striving to do even better each year than they had the year before. Clearly, making other people happy was very important to Frank. His was a close and loving family, eager to be a part of one another's lives, always finding time to do the things they loved together.

He and his father and brothers built a vacation home in upstate New York, where Frank would often go to hunt or ride his dirt bike. They were also excellent pool players, who formed a team and won the Staten Island Eight Ball League division championship two years running. These wins were no surprise to anyone who knew Frank. He had a passion for excellence, and it showed.

After graduating from Tottenville High School on Long Island, he went to work as a drywall finisher. He was more than conscientious, insisting upon perfection in all the work he did. The fun loving lad was growing into a man who retained his sense of humour, yet
"knew a lot about everything, and never froze under pressure."


With such qualities, it was perhaps natural Francis Esposito set his sights upon becoming a New York firefighter. It took seven years, but at last, in 1999, he was offered the opportunity. It came just weeks before his wedding, but he was already so dedicated he postponed his honeymoon so he could fulfill his new duties. He soon bought the midnight-blue Harley-Davidson he'd always dreamed of owning, and kept it so immaculate his friends teased him about his affection for it. That didn't stop him from wiping fingerprints from the paint and polishing the chrome until it sparkled.

They may have teased him, but his drive for perfection was genuine enough to win the respect of co-workers and acquaintances, and the admiration and love of friends and family. Yet he never let his idealism dampen his sense of humour. He entertained everyone who knew him with jokes, tossing off one-liners as expertly and effortlessly as everything else he did. This, along with his other qualities, helped him earn the friendship of his new comrades in the fire department.

Frank was meticulous in refurbishing and caring for his house. He was proud of it, and of his beloved wife Dawn. They planned to spend their lives together, travelling, trying new restaurants, and relaxing on their boat, the "Dawn Marie." He was always taking on new projects, extending his skills. Sometimes he grew so absorbed he didn't even remember to eat, unless there was crab on the table. Frank could never get enough crab, even though he often caught his own. He also liked watching thunderstorms, and once took members of his extended family to Manhattan to watch him perform as DJ in a club there.

Just days before his death, on Labor Day, Frank and Dawn were sailing in New York Harbor when he noticed that the boat was sinking. He calmly told his wife to "hold the wheel" while he took care of the situation. She was confident in his abilities, a confidence that was not misplaced. He fixed the boat, as he managed to fix most things in life, quietly and without fuss.

After Francis Esposito completed his training, he was assigned to Ladder Company 79, in West Brighton. In January of 2001, he was transferred to Engine Company 235 in the Bedford-Stuyvesant area of Brooklyn. Not surprisingly, he was regarded by his colleagues as a great firefighter. On the morning of September 11, six firefighters from Engine 235 raced towards Tower Two of the World Trade Center. One of the men remained behind with the apparatus to connect the hoses.

The others, including Firefighter Francis Esposito, headed straight into the blazing building, without hesitating or looking back. He was so determined to rescue others from that burning hell he willingly went forward. In spite of the obvious danger, he overcame his instincts, which surely must have urged him to turn and flee from such a terrifying scene, he subdued whatever fear he felt, and he did his job. He took part in the heroic effort that saved so many thousands. He shares the credit for keeping the horrific death toll from rising much higher.

In the process, he lost his life. He died so that others might live. He didn't sacrifice his life for his family or his friends; instead, he died saving the lives of strangers. No man can ever hope to do more than that to prove his selflessness, his bravery, and his compassion. Such a man is alwasy a great loss, most of all to those who knew him, but also to the whole world. We are poorer today because Francis Esposito is no longer among us.

In their gratitude, the City of New York renamed a small portion of Arden Avenue on Staten Island in his honour. You might feel, and with justice, that such a man deserves far more. In fact, no politician has it in their power to bestow honours equal to those Francis Esposito earned five years ago. That is not to say more should not be done, despite the inadequacy of any effort.

Yet consider, he died precisely because he was a part of the team which saved thousands of lives. Every one of those individuals who might have died, but did not, is a living memorial to Francis Esposito. His was the effort, and the sacrifice, that helped to save them. Not only that, but even when the last survivor has died, those of their children born after 9/11, who would not otherwise exist, and their children after them, represent a living memorial to him as well.

No one can say which firefighter saved which person's life on that day. But each man aided the others, and none among them could have accompished so much without the help of their fellows. So everyone who owes their existence to the rescue effort is a living memorial to each and every man involved, including Francis Esposito. For as long as mankind walks the earth, there will be those who would not have been born, if Frank and his fellows had not made the sacrifices they did. Time cannot erase such a memorial, forgetfulness cannot make it less real.

Few of us can ever hope to match Frank Esposito's greatness, but each of us who reads his story and is inspired, in whatever small way, to emulate his bravery, his compassion, and his desire to do the best he could, continues to honour his memory. He was the kind of man who would appreciate a real, living, breathing memorial, one which makes a concrete difference in the lives of others, far more than a bronze statue or a street or building bearing his name. May each person who reads this remember Francis Esposito, and strive to be a better person because of him.

Frank was always close to his family. Before you go, please take a moment and pray for his parents Michael and Dorothy, for his wife Dawn, for his brothers Dominick, Richard, Vincent and Michael, and his sister, Catherine. Pray for his many nieces, nephews, and cousins, and please take a moment to remember another who died that day, Frank's cousin Lieutenant Michael Esposito, who was promoted posthumously to Captain. Finally, read this moving tribute, written in memory of all the emergency workers who lost their lives, including Francis Esposito.



© Copyright 2006 by the Wandering Author - All Rights Reserved
The Wandering Author hereby grants non-exclusive rights to reproduce, in whole or in part, this work in any media or form whatsoever, provided such republishing or reproduction is for the specific purpose of honouring the memory of Francis Esposito. Reproduction for any other purpose without written permission from the author is expressly forbidden.

diigo it

62 Comments:

Blogger aperire said...

this post made me cry. thank you for sharing the story of Francis Esposito. i hope that both the pains and lessons of history move us to a much better world...together we can.

i would also like to take this opportunity to thank you, The Wandering Author, for the comment you made in my site and for linkin' me up. i was so thrilled when i found out. more bloggin' power to you.

September 06, 2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Beautiful tribute. I have tears rolling down my face right now. Thank you for telling Francis' story. He was a brave soul and will always be remembered. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Rest in peace, Francis.

I posted a tribute to Judson Cavalier. Check it out if you get a chance.

September 06, 2006 10:30 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

This is so sad, WA truly. And I agree with Aperire that it made me cry a little.
Yet too, Esposito like one of many others, stays a sadness that the world must engulf itself in and then to be painfully recorded.
I pray for your strength & peace, WA, to have immersed yourself with Esposito and to have chosen to relive his pain.
It would have taken courage and can't have been easy.
Take care

September 06, 2006 11:38 PM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

The most touching part to me was the mention of the Dawn Marie boat. I think because it brought to mind how they wouldn't be able to retire and sail off intothe sunset on it one day.

You were so brave for doing this. It was a wonderful way to honor Frank and all the others who gave the ultimate sacrifice that day.

Hugs,

Sara

September 07, 2006 2:04 AM  
Blogger Blu Jewel said...

This is beyond a fitting tribute and by far an incredible thing you've done. This was an emotional read as I recall that day vividly and knowing that I almost lost my Godmother that day.

I applaud everyone who put their lives on the line that day and my prayers are always extended to them and their respective family members for the selflessness displayed. Mr. Esposito was and will be a fine example of what we can all do in the face of danger or any adversity...Feel the fear and face it anyway.

Thank you WA for your heartwarming post and for being dutiful in honoring such a wonderful human being.

September 07, 2006 6:49 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

Wonderful post, WA.

September 07, 2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger Auntie Lyn said...

Thank you for sharing Francis Esposito with us. The love of his job, family and friends was evident in all that he did and accomplished. The world is a little smaller with his presence gone. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
Blessings,
Auntie Lyn

September 07, 2006 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WA,
I must confess I could not read the entire entry...I was crying to hard when I got to the part where Francis went in to the building.
Thank you for sharing....
Another 2996 participant~

September 07, 2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

What a great tribute to a true hero.

In reply to your comment on my blog, I did in fact find a picture of my hero (Steven L. Howell, World Trade Center). I don't have any stories about his life though, so if you have any time to research that I could put it on my blog as well. Thanks for asking!

September 07, 2006 6:25 PM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you, he is missed.

September 07, 2006 11:50 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

I consider myself honoured to have had the privilege of writing Frank's tribute. I only wish I could have known him. And I wrote most of this post through tears; I very nearly did not make it past the point where he entered the building. It was only Frank's own example that inspired me to continue.

Susan, I deleted one of your posts because you accidentally posted the same message twice.

And Susanne, you didn't leave me any way to contact you, so I posted what I could find so far in a comment on your blog.

September 07, 2006 11:52 PM  
Blogger Thy said...

aw.

Thanks for putting up this tribute. It seems like what happened was so long ago, and I think some of us needed a reminder of the tragic story of Sept 11. When I look over someones entire life and realize that theres a whole half that is missing, I feel like i should have been the one who died.

and to think, things liek this are happening in other countries right now because of this stupid war...

September 07, 2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

I wanted to add a few comments to my tribute. Without taking anything away from the rest of those who died that day, and each of them deserves remembrance, I can't help feeling those who voluntarily went towards disaster while all others were fleeing, and in so doing saved countless lives, deserve a special place in our hearts.

I was crying for most of the time I wrote this post. When I got to the point where he went into the building, I almost couldn't go on. It was only Francis Esposito's own example, going forward in spite of the horrible sight before him, that kept me writing.

September 08, 2006 12:19 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

You have done the most wonderful tribute I have seen so far. I have been checking those posted already. I shall be posting my own tomorrow evening for Stuart Todd Meltzer who worked for Cantor Fitgerald.
I have a question. If you don't have time to answer, I understand. I am IT challenged to put it nicely. I'm slowly moving from MSN to blogspot. My question: How did you get the 2996 graphic and put his name on it onto your site? Like I said, challenged. Thanks. And once again, an absolutely wonderful job with the tribute!

Sue

September 08, 2006 12:23 AM  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

Having read your very moving tribute, which was both informative and touching, I feel very honoured that you chose to include my poem. Some people have asked if they can reproduce the poem, print it out, pass it on, etc. The answer, of course, is yes. All the best, Shameless.

September 08, 2006 4:46 AM  
Blogger PAI said...

Great Job WA. As a firefighter it's good to see one of my brothers done right...

September 08, 2006 7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello I am Neo, and a fello 2996 blogger, this is uniting us all over blogspaces. Your tribute was so wonderful.. his amazing story is now in my heart.

September 08, 2006 7:22 AM  
Blogger Bhaswati said...

What a poignant tribute to a truly remarkable life. But for this, I would have never known about the personal side of a firefighter who didn't think twice before laying his life down so that others could live.

I can imagine how tough it must have been for you. But Francis lives on; he gave you the courage to finish the piece and post it for us to read.

THANK YOU. :)

September 09, 2006 2:54 AM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Thank you all for your comments. I did want to take a moment to explain one issue I agonised over before coming to a decision.

I removed a certain comment which was not abusive, nor was it ignorant. I apologise for that; I did so out of respect for Francis Esposito and his family.

I have my own causes and my own beliefs. I wouldn't feel comfortable using this platform to promote them, however. I would have no right to.

I don't know what beliefs Francis Esposito would have identified with, so I feel it is only respectful to his memory to reject all comments of a political nature, or promoting any cause, on this post. If you want to make comments of that nature, please make them elsewhere.

I am perfectly comfortable with allowing others to include links to their own tributes, and I am sure Francis and his family would not object to any cause supporting firefighters and their families. Beyond that, I will not approve comments intended to promote anything.

September 09, 2006 3:03 AM  
Blogger The Baby's Momma said...

This was a wonderful tribute. My heart goes out to The Esposito Family.....

~ ~ Justice
In memory of Edward Phillip York

September 09, 2006 3:25 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

A fitting and beautifully written tribute to one of our heroes. Thank you so much.

September 09, 2006 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you. that was an awesome tribute. I can see I'll be going through a lot of tissue this weekend reading all these tributes.

My tribute for Stephen Mulderry is up at the Soda Stand

September 09, 2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger BeaK. said...

This is such a beautiful tribute, it is sad because it comes from a sad event. But I see a more beautiful and happy man in all the words you have written about him.

I strive every day to be a better person than I was yesterday.

I can only hope I leave such a legacy as Francis Esposito, and all the others who gave their life helping to save others on that horrific day.

May God have mercy on us all.

Bea Kunz

September 10, 2006 1:08 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

An amazing tribute to an amazing man. I've read many tributes today, and while they are all special, this is one that has truly touched me deeply. Thank you for bringing Mr Esposito back to life so that we can all know who he was.

My honoree is Manette Beckles. I hope you have a chance to stop by and hear her story as well.

September 10, 2006 3:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Few of us can ever hope to match Frank Esposito's greatness, but each of us who reads his story and is inspired, in whatever small way, to emulate his bravery, his compassion, and his desire to do the best he could, continues to honour his memory.

Thank you. You've written a truly remarkable tribute. May we never forget.

September 10, 2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

good job on this 2996
never forget these brave nmen

September 10, 2006 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very heart touching, beautiful, tribute.

September 10, 2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

You have indeed done a great honor by memoralizing Francis Esposito. I was deeply moved by this kind, compassionate man. It with great sadness that I find myself reflecting back on all of those who lost their lives that day. I can't help but hold a special appreciation for all the firefighters, police officier and emergency workers who went to Towers knowing the dangers they faced and went anyway. Thank you for bringing this man's memory back to life and sharing it with us. I know his family and friends would feel deeply touched by what you have written.

I too honored a lost firefighter, Durrell Pearsall.

September 10, 2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Backblog said...

Nicely written. I also paid tribute to a firefighter on my blog:
http://ingridspangler.blogspot.com/2006/09/in-memory-of-gerard-duffy.html Would love to hear what you think.

September 10, 2006 6:54 PM  
Blogger kateykakes said...

What a beautiful and moving tribute.

Thank you so much for sharing.

September 10, 2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

A very emotional tribute. Thank you.

September 10, 2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I apologize for not getting back to you earlier concerning your message on linking our 2996 posts together. Please go ahead and link to my post if you would like and I will do the same. Thanks!! Kim

September 10, 2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hello again WA,

Sorry to pop up as often as I do.
I'll be thinking of Francis Esposito today and saying a prayer for his family and friends who perished with him.
Be strong, friend.

September 11, 2006 1:22 AM  
Blogger barista brat said...

this is such a beautiful tribute.
thank you so much for the time you took to write such a moving post.

September 11, 2006 2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this tribute. I remember hearing a story on NPR after 9/11 about how many firefighters died. The story was in the context of a memorial they have, and an annual ceremony to add the names of fallen comrades. I was overwhelmed to realize that the number who died that day, was more than the total who'd died up to that point.

Thank you for pointing out how every person who is saved by a firefighter is a living memorial to their bravery. That is very powerful.

Another 2996 participant.

September 11, 2006 2:32 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

A very moving piece about a very important person. Thank you.

September 11, 2006 7:57 AM  
Blogger Coaster Punchman said...

Thank you for your honorable tribute to this hero of 9/11. New York lost a great man that day.

CP

September 11, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Marni said...

Breathtaking and beautiful -- thank you.

September 11, 2006 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a powerful, lovely tribute. Thank you.

September 11, 2006 9:07 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

What an amazing tribute you've done WA....It brought tears to my eyes...Thank you for bringing him to life for me....amazing..

And thanks for trying to help me, it meant alot to me...

Kirsten

September 11, 2006 9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the espositos are family friends of ours and I know how much the loss of frankie has affected their lives. Once I heard about this project I was anxious to see a memorial for Frankie here. Wandering Author, you have written an amazing tribute to Frankie and It has truly touched me. I thank god for giving us the life of Frankie Esposito (although it was cut too short) - and I THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for this moving tribute. Words cannot express how amazing this was to read.
Thank you and god bless the families of Engine 235. May Frankie rest in peace.

September 11, 2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Truly inspirational.

September 11, 2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Anonymours, don't thank me. It was teh least I could do for Frank. I hope this won't offend anyone who knew him, or his family, but since I was assigned his name and wrote this tribute, I feel like he has become a part of my family as well. I will never forget him.

September 11, 2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger Lilize said...

thank you for this!!!

i've said in another tribute that i have always admired firefighters. for their bravery, their honor, their passion... for everything they do.

i admire frank now, and i remember him...

again, thank you for allowing me to do so.

September 11, 2006 1:36 PM  
Blogger Lilize said...

this is only fair that we should thank you.

not for the tribute itself, but for allowing those who didn't know him - like myself - to learn a bit about him, not a number, but an individual. thank you for sharing.

as i said in another tribute, i have always admired fire fighters, for all their bravery, their honor, their passion... and now i admire frank esposito, and i remember him.

this was very beautiful, and i am sure many people are thinking of him now.

September 11, 2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger Meira{FB} said...

What a wonderful tribute. All that were lost were of fine character, so full of life.

September 11, 2006 2:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Beautiful, truly beautiful. You have a gift. I'm glad that you choose to use it for good.

Never forget.

September 11, 2006 3:05 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thank you for introducing me to Francis, you have posted an excellent tribute to him. I, too, cried through most of it.

September 11, 2006 4:40 PM  
Blogger Cosmic Siren said...

You did such an excellent job in your tribute.

My person was Richard G. Catarelli and even though I didn't find as much as you did, his life still touched me.

September 11, 2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

You did a wonderful job memorializing the life of Francis Esposito. He made a difference. Bless Francis and all the firefighters who gave their all to help so many others. There is so much pain in the world, this project has added to my pain but also I feel proud that I could remember a soul lost that day. Catherine A. Nardella was one of the wonderful people who lost their lives that awful day. We will remember.
Your tribute was one of the best of the dozens I have read. I think my sister also wrote an especially moving memorial to Cynthia Wilson. Her remembrance can be seen at www.motherkitty.blogspot.com.

September 12, 2006 12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes.

September 12, 2006 1:25 AM  
Blogger bernie said...

I was going to stop reading posts a few minutes ago (I ran out of Kleenex) but I still had a fairly dry towel. Touching tribute, well done.

September 12, 2006 1:35 AM  
Blogger Motherkitty said...

WA, your memorial to a brave soul was breathtaking. Thank you for taking part in this tribute project to those who lost their lives on 9/11.

We shall never forget where we were and what we were doing on 9/11 as long as we live. As I see video of events from that day, it seems like the attack just happened, that's how fresh and raw the wound is. It's all so poignant and real to us.

This project has allowed us to "know" those who perished and I feel that they are no longer just statistics and names. They were living, breathing humans that we can identify with and they will be missed by those who loved them. We now know some of them because we wrote about them and we will not forget.

I invite you and your readers to view my special tribute to Cynthia Motus Wilson who died when WTC Tower 1 fell.

September 12, 2006 6:02 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

This is a great tribute. Mr. Esposito's spirit has been not only remembered. His life has been celebrated.

I paid tribute to a member of FDNY as well; Thomas Richard Kelly

September 12, 2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger Third Mom said...

Beautiful tribute, just beautiful.

September 13, 2006 11:48 PM  
Blogger Rethabile said...

Not much more to add. It's perfectly put, just like many of the comments here.

November 19, 2006 6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for your honoring tribute to Frank. He is our family's hero, especially to my young son, Richard. Frankie was always larger than life to all of us and he is truly missed. ~ Anne' Marie Vomero (cousin)RJsMomma2005@aol.com

July 31, 2008 3:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i found this site for the first time and read to myself in my room, i was thinking of Frank alot today for some reason, more ten any other day.. his face is in my head eveyday, and i want to thank you and anyone who reads this or leaves a comment, i am Richie Esposito, Franks brother, and i miss him so much everyday... the pain doesn't go away, it just gets easier to deal with... thank you again.. i love you FRankie... i still miss you so much.. i can't wait to see you again.. till then my brother.. til then....

October 08, 2010 7:50 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Richard, thank you for your comment. I was honoured to have the chance to write this for your brother Frank, and I'm honoured to have you visit and share your thoughts.

I've never had a loss like yours, so I can only imagine your pain. You will be in my prayers, along with your brother.

October 08, 2010 10:17 PM  
Anonymous Monica Silva said...

Thank you for sharing your story, My name is Monica and I went to a memorial at a friends fire department today, in Newport Rhode Island to honor all the heroes and victims of 9/11. Today is the 10th anniversary of 9/11. During the ceremony a speaker asked if anyone could name one of the 343 firefighters who lost their lives that day, and said that before today, he couldn't either and though we all mourn the loss of their lives, He asked for everyone to go home, pick a name, and learn the story behind a hero who gave their life to save so many others. He shared his story of a fallen hero, And I will share my story of Francis Esposito... His family and loved ones are in my prayers, God bless and Thank You!!!!

September 11, 2011 8:31 PM  
Anonymous dorothy esposito said...

Thank you so much for writing such a beautiful tribute to the memory of my son Frankie. He was ev erything you wrote and so much more and now his bravery on that horrific day will never be forgotten. God bless Frankie and God bless America.

November 14, 2011 11:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I do not know how you wrote this without knowing him. I worked along side frank for 7 years as a drywall finisher. L.u 1976 for interstate drywall. Your tribute was exact. There was not one sentence that was untrue. His humor was unique, his passion for perfection. one of the sharpest men I have ever met. I was honored to have known him. Quick witted responses and one liners as I am reminiscing now is the only thing holding back my tears. It did not matter to him the fact that he took a 50% pay cut to become an n.y. firefighter. The constant questioning from myself "are you sure you want/can do that staten island frankie?" that was his nickname. "Are you crazy, we got it made here..." he never once hesitated. "YES" and so he did. Wow. I can only envy his bravery and courage, and Respect the set of balls that man had. I will say by knowing and being around him 8 hrs a day for 7 yrs. I learned a lot and became a better man. He would say to me,"I taught you everything you know...but not everything I know." His way if shooting down only to pick you up. Just before he made his career change we renovated that very tower. Floors 85-104. He was the foreman. He knew them buildings like the back of his hand. Define irony. I still believe, because of his courage and his knowledge of the layout with his compassion to want to help people.that was his demise. God bless you staten island frankie. A true american hero. Your never forgotten.

September 04, 2013 1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home