the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Friday, September 01, 2006

To My Regular Readers

I had a wonderful day yesterday with my cousin from Ireland and her husband. I'd love to post more about that, but I have little time for anything right now. I do apologise to all of my regular readers for the temporary shift in focus of this blog. It is not, as I stated before, my intent to maintain a journalism blog. There is a place for journalism, but I find more challenge and more satisfaction in truly creative writing.

Many of you have already seen my post of the 29th of August. This is a serious matter, and the people involved need my help. I want to do what I can for them, then get back to the writing I most enjoy. I planned on at least going on with my writing challenge; since one of the writers involved is moving this weekend, and will be offline until next week, I have decided it is best to delay the challenge until he is ready to take part.

I have decided to make it a multiple viewpoint story. I will write the first part, making sure to leave openings for additional viewpoints, then send it on to Brandon, Amin, Susan, Sara, and Lehane, in that order. Susan and Lehane, I'm not sure if I have your e-mail addresses. I'll check, but if I don't, and you'd rather not post them in the comments, my address is in the footer, a long way down the page.

The story will follow a few simple rules. 1: Each participant has 250-300 words for their segment. 2: Each segment is to be told from the viewpoint of a different character. 3: No one may alter what has already been written. 4: Individuals often notice different details, focus on different things, or interpret the same thing in different ways, so the stories may vary widely. However, the viewpoint character must be someone who is already mentioned, or who could reasonably have been overlooked, by the narrators who have gone before. Also, unless a plausible explanation is included or implied for their having done so, the previous narrators may have overlooked details or focused on different parts of the action, but no narrator is assumed to have been actually lying.

I do want to assure you my blog will return to normal shortly. I plan three more posts on the subject of the USDA employee's threat to their critics, then I will leave the work to others. One will be a clearer explanation of exactly why I take this matter so seriously. The second will be instructional, offering those opposing the USDA ideas for getting their side of the story out effectively. This may prove to be such a long post I will have to break it up into several sections. On the positive side, if any of my readers have causes they care about, my ideas could be readily adapted. The third post, which I may not get to for a while, since it is less urgent, will be an exploration of the reasons I personally support this cause.

Whatever your opinion on the issue, please understand that I would be much happier if I didn't feel this was necessary. There are things I'd much rather be writing. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I do believe strongly that something must be done, and I am the person in a postion to do it. I hope you will consider reading my views on this, or at least that you will return in a day or two when things begin getting back to normal.

diigo it

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the specifics of that challenge and can't wait to get going. Poor old Darren will be pulling his hair out waiting for his internet access so I'm glad you're delaying it for him.

Nice challenge.

September 01, 2006 3:00 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Of course, WA. You must do the things you feel are important to you.
Everyone is still here for you.

In short, that's the beautiful aspect of being a writer, isn't it. The mind is constantly embraced to challenge multi-faceted ideas or observe new realities for better or worse.

I did give you my email addy the other day but here it is again:

abrahamsusan2003@yahoo.co.uk.

Lehane's is on his blog - lefthand sidebar (I think, under 'Contact Me')

Glad you had a wonderful time with your cousin and I look forward to reading your writings no matter what they are.

September 01, 2006 8:56 PM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

Hey, just checking in.
The writing challenge should be fun. I look forward to it. Have a great weekend. Happy Labor Day.

Bye

Sara

September 02, 2006 9:48 AM  
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

I like this multiple viewpoint story project. Is it something you would be interested in trying again? Thinking it might be interesting...setting up a blog and hosting a "partY". Inviting the bloggers we know to take on characters. How does that strike you?

September 03, 2006 6:04 PM  
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

I'm sorry, I commented on this posting. Looking back, I see the message was meant for your regular readers. I would, in most cases it seems, be classified Irregular.

September 03, 2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Kilroy, I admit you are probably irregular, but that needn't stop you from commenting. In fact, judging by the comments I see on many blogs, I hope I don't get too many regular commenters. That would be dull.

I would be interested if you decide to go ahead with your "partY"; I'm honoured to be considered.

September 03, 2006 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home