the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Writing Challenge Begins!

I have begun the writing challenge today. It will be a multiple viewpoint story. I've written the first part, which ought to have ample openings for additional viewpoints. I've already sent it on to Brandon. Following Brandon will be Amin, Susan, Sara, and Lehane, in that order. The goal is to finish in time to let Lehane write his part and get it back to me Friday, before he's cut off from the Internet for the weekend. If that doesn't prove possible, don't sweat it. When it's finished, I'll be posting it here.

There are a few simple rules.

1: Each participant has 250-300 words for their segment.

2: Each segment is to be told from the viewpoint of a different character.

3: No one may alter what has already been written.

4: Individuals often notice different details, focus on different things, or interpret the same thing in different ways, so the stories may vary widely. However, the viewpoint character must be someone who is already mentioned, or who could reasonably have been overlooked, by the narrators who have gone before. Note they do not have to be mentioned as an individual. (If a "group of boys" appears in the story, your viewpoint character can be one of those boys, for example. The point is to leave the possibilities as open as possible, without contradicting what has already been written.) Also, unless a plausible explanation is included or implied for their having done so, the previous narrators may have overlooked details or focused on different parts of the action, but no narrator is assumed to have been actually lying.

I hope you all have fun with this! I will post the completed story as soon as I get the final portion back.

diigo it

7 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Found your site through a comment you left at Kilroy_60. Glad I did. can't wait to see the outcome of the writing contest.

This is off-topic I see you have the same blog format I do, yet you've managed to include My Daily Reading and Interesting Blogs to your sidebar. I know code (but what code?) has to go somewhere (but where?). Would you be so kind as to post directions on my site or perhaps email me (prophet122@excite.com)? Thanks.

September 04, 2006 6:18 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm very glad to have found yours--especially since you are also a fan of The Silver Pigs. Have you read the other books in the series?

September 04, 2006 8:44 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I just returned my section, to your inbox. I think that the rule of having it come from a different perspective for each contributor will make for a very multi-layered tale that will reveal so much on the topics you've chosen to address. I can't wait to see what the rest have to say. Thanks.

September 04, 2006 9:07 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Pauline; I e-mailed you directions for the code. If they don't help, feel free to contact me again.

Tom; I've read most of the series. I think there are one or two of the latest ones I haven't gotten around to yet. Which is killing me.

September 04, 2006 9:09 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Ok WA. You've got my email addy. Here's looking forward to it.

September 04, 2006 9:14 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Brandon; I loved your addition. It gave me chills, but I think this is turning out well. I don't want to give anything away here yet, but that was a powerful addition. And I, at least, had no trouble with the reference.

September 04, 2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Susan; I just sent it off to Amin. I noticed he hasn't posted in a couple of days, so I let him know he could go later if he's having trouble with his fingers. So I'm not sure how soon it will come your way.

September 04, 2006 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home