the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Celebrate!

Despite the fact Moonstruck didn't win so much as an honourable mention in the Lonely Moon Short Fiction Contest, I am celebrating today. In the first place, I read the competition, and nearly every story entered was good. Most were excellent.

I chose to write within the guidelines of the contest, but also, deliberately and as an exercise for myself, to write so the theme and details would reflect the photo and the "Lonely Moon" concept as closely as possible. This limitation is not part of the contest rules; it was my own idea to test myself and see what I could do.

The moon, loneliness, and the image in the photo are all integral parts of my story. The moon appears twice, once in the opening "vision", and once in the closing scene. Selene's loneliness is one of the central themes, and I used imagery from the photo twice, once in her "vision", and once as her mind cleared. Even her name is symbolic of the Moon.

I may or may not have written a better story without my self-imposed limitation. That isn't the point. I set myself a goal, and I achieved that goal. Whenever we as writers achieve the goals we set ourselves, we win. To develop our individual writing skills, we each need to set our own goals, then struggle until we reach those goals. When we do so, we improve our writing abilities, and that's the best prize of all!

Now that I've made my point, I should add that I actually have two reasons for celebration today. I wrote a story that fulfilled my goals for it. And my two kittens, Tristan Brighteyes - Hero and Stargazer LittleGirl, are one year old today.

This is their official birthday, the rain held off long enough to let them take a nice, long walk outside on their leashes, and they enjoyed themselves very much leaping up tree trunks and chasing and catching bugs! After Stargazer's adventure last month, I am just overjoyed to see those small, wondering, happy faces sniffing everything within reach.

diigo it

4 Comments:

Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

And then too, WA, I discovered that your story had a lilting musical quality to it that was distinctly Irish...a sing-song that was beautiful to the eye and given only to the Irish.
And that was you, WA. That was you.

September 03, 2006 4:06 AM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

Happy Birthday to the kitties!

And congrats on entering the contest. You seemed to have gaine valuable lessons and experience from it even if you didn't win.

Talk to you soon,

Sara

September 03, 2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger Kilroy_60 said...

I think you should be most proud of your work. Juding the quality of writing is as subjective as can be. Ultimately, you chose to make the competition more challenging for yourself than those who staging the competition...so you're a winner in any case.

I wanted to stop by, in addition to seeing what your latest and greatest is, to say thank you for your recent comments at my new blogspot.

September 03, 2006 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to comment on so many of the stories in the competition on my blog - much appreciated :)

I think your Moonstruck story captured the theme of the Lonely Moon competition and the picture perfectly btw, as kilroy says it's all subjective as to who won in the end

September 04, 2006 2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home