the Unending Journey of the Wandering Author

A chronicle of the unending journey of the Wandering Author through life, with notes and observations made along the way. My readers should be aware I will not censor comments that disagree with me, but I do refuse to display comment spam or pointless, obscene rants. Humans may contact me at thewanderingauthor at yahoo dot com - I'll reply as I am able.

Name:
Location: New England, United States

I have always known I was meant to write, even when I was too young to know the word 'author'. When I learned that books were printed, I developed an interest in that as well. And I have always been a wanderer, at least in my mind. It's not the worst trait in an author. For more, read my writing; every author illuminates their heart and soul on the pages they write upon.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Brazilian Independence Day

Although I have since found at least some of the family legends were true, but that the family's speculations based on those legends were not, I have long celebrated Brazilian Independence Day. When I was younger, I believed it was possible that the man who made Brazil independent that day on the banks of the Rio Ypiranga, Dom Pedro I, was my ancestor.

That was more than enough reason to celebrate the anniversary of the day he swore: "By my blood, by my honour, and by my sword, I swear to set Brazil free!" From that day, 7 September 1822, he became Brazil's first Emperor. Oddly enough, many people have observed that I look a great deal like portraits of the second Emperor, Pedro II.

That, of course, only increased my belief I must be descended from this family. Even after I found proof that, if there is any family link, it must be further back than Pedro I of Brazil, I continued to enjoy celebrating the holiday. This year, the first since my daughter married a Brazilian man, should have seen another private celebration of a holiday most Americans ignore.

Yet somehow, I didn't have the heart to celebrate after reading some of the tributes to those who died five years ago on 9-11. It seemed somehow disrespectful. So I didn't celebrate, and I didn't even write a post to mark the day until it was nearly over. Still, I find I can't forget entirely the holiday I considered my own for so long.

Independincia ou Morte!

diigo it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home